Dogon Musical Finger Gong

This is a typical shape of a Dogon musical finger gong. Bells, gongs and rattles were mostly used at funerals.

Tribe: Dogon

Origin: Mali

Approx Age: Mid 20th Century

Materials: Iron

Dimensions cm: 14 x 10

Ref. Number: 1354

£60.00

Description:
A very weathered Dogon musical finger gong made from iron. These big finger gongs were played by using an iron ring worn by the musician. This is a typical shape of a Dogon finger gong. Bells, gongs and rattles were mostly used at funerals. This gong also presents the technical skill of the blacksmith which is well-known amongst the Dogon people.

Provenance: Ex Lampevelden Collection, purchased in Sangha in 1980.

History

 In Mali, funerals are run usually as a standard Islamic funeral, since around 95% of their population is Islamic. The other 5% is majority Christian, with a tiny bit being traditional cultural beliefs of the country, one of those is Dogon. They live in a small area of central Mali, where they remain immune to being integrated into the rest of Mali’s society, and they stay independent in their beliefs despite tourism. Their funerals are a grand affair with an audience and stage. A leader within the village brings forth the dead in a death-shroud and clothing. Placing the body on the ritual stage, the leader picks up a spear and a mock spear battle occurs with another person who represents evil forces. Although each person has a unique piece of ritual that is passed down secretly from father to son. Dogon musketeers then come on stage and begin a dance, each foot stepping to different beats. The musketeers then fire their muskets into the air and at the audience to scare away evil spirits.

To accompany the ceremony there is music from drums and iron gongs which is synchronized with whoops from the women. The audience heads back to the village at sundown where dancing goes on all night, and beer is served.

Contact Exquisite African Art

15 + 1 =

Telephone: +44 (0)1623 884387

Follow us

Subscribe to our mailing list

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This